Thursday, March 31, 2011

90th??? Let's Get Something Started!

I, along with countless others I'm hoping, read with a sense of disbelief that our county ranked 90th out of 92 counties in Indiana in a recent report http://www.countyhealthrankings.org/indiana/pike

I do believe it's time to Eat Well, Live Well Otwell...


Let's look at the first two items on the chart:


1--As a county, we rank 89th in premature deaths--only three counties in the state have more premature deaths than Pike County


2--Morbidity Rates--22% of Pike Countians of all ages rate their health as fair or poor. 4.5 out of every 30 days are seen as "sick" days with health problems. 4.8 out of every 30 days are seen as mentally unhealthy days. 10.1% of all babies born to Pike County citizens are low birth weight--4% higher than the national average.




I suggest we get a little revolution of our own going. I know of a fine blogger in the Winslow area that is an excellent writer and very dedicated to the area. Rose...are you with me? That takes care of 2 of the towns in the county. Any bloggers out there from the Petersburg area? Hop on board. Let's get this ranking up in a year. We can do it. 


Let this be the challenge to all the churches, the schools, the community organizations, the community centers, the health professionals...everyone. We can all do a small part to get our county out of ICU...we are in critical condition and this needs to change. The sooner the better.


I encourage anyone to sign on as a follower of this blog and any other blogs that are related to this cause. Let's get the good ideas going in the comments sections...let's start thinking about turning some dirt over this spring and planting a few plants to share with others so we can all have healthier diets. Let's get out and walk, walk, walk. We don't have a lot of facilities, but we have a lot of acreage around here and walking is pretty cheap.


Are you with me?


90th out of 92 counties is unacceptable. We have to do something. Let's start now...ideas, anyone?





2 comments:

  1. I'm with you. I hate to admit I am one of the statistics. I have been working on my self the past few weeks and I'm ready. I'll blog for Winslow. It'll be on WordPress, I'll link up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you. I need to start eating healthier also. I also need to walk, walk, walk! I'll pass it along!

    ReplyDelete